Pages

Monday, August 7, 2023

Strips and Strings Quilt

 This is what 64 string blocks look like...


This was the layout when I last took a photo- 42 blocks.


So when I returned home and headed back into the 

sewing room, 

I diligently got to work on the last 18 blocks.


"Oh look, I made too many!"


I had to sew the blocks together slowly....


Now that the papers had been removed.

All those pesky bias edges and pins!



I find if you creep up on the pins they don't jump up 

and break the machine needle!

But when I remembered to pin the rows together....

it was so much better,




Easy access to both pin heads!

A black-and-white photo always helps with the

 placement of blocks and evening out the values.


I certainly put a dent in my scrap stash.

One of my favourite blocks



Mainly by making the backing out of stash too!


We are experiencing a beautiful sunny Winter's day,


 which certainly feels like Spring can't be far away!


So I took the opportunity to head outside and get some 

photos of it hanging on the clothesline!



What you can't feel is the warmth of the sunshine.



You can't hear the birds revelling in the sunny day too!

Or the sweet smell of daffodils and jonquils blooming....

Happy days!

SUZ






9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your string quilt is very pretty! I hope it makes it into the quilting frame soon, happy stitching!

smithcindyk said...

Beautiful! I love how you used white to frame the blocks.

smithcindyk said...

Beautiful! I love how you used white to frame the blocks.

Susan Smith said...

Well done. It looks great & how are you going to quilt it? Proper sunny days seem few & far between down here in Gippsland.

Karen S said...

The weather sure has been delightful. Love these sunny days in the middle of Winter.
Your quilt is looking wonderful. Such a great way to use up pieces and to create a stunning quilt. Smart to also piece the back and use up more stash.
This was the perfect project to jump into on your return.

diane said...

Love how you have the white running through and pulling it all together. Very nicely done. I am amazed at how you put them together with the seams.

OPQuilt said...

I love the tips for sewing the string quilts together. Believe it or not, I have several blocks of a selvage quilt lurking somewhere in one of my bins, and your beautiful quilt has reminded me that I should get it out and finish it. It is also paper-pieced, but I wondered how it would sew together once I pulled out all the papers. As usual, Susan to the rescue! I love the look of your quilt, and had fun studying some of your close-ups to see all your scraps. It's a wonderful quilt--congratulations!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a very pretty string quilt. Great idea having the whites running through like that. Summer? Here in NZ it's been mainly rain & wind since beginning of January, I'm so over it all!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...