Sunday, July 29, 2018

A Bento bag or two..

My sister was recently admiring this little Bento bag,

and it reminded me that I wanted to try a larger one.

 This one started as a 43.5" by 14.5" rectangle,

just so I have the details for next time!

I stumbled across a variation which joined the 


instead of knotting the ends as in the original.

So I followed this version

and stitched the ends together....

and added a spotty handle.

This bag now holds 800g of yarn, needles and 

pattern ready for my next knitting project!

Quick and very satisfying!

Happy sewing!


Saturday, July 21, 2018

Drawstring bags!

I made a couple of drawstring bags for Eli today!

I followed my favourite tutorial found here to make 

the smaller one.

To make the larger one I increased the 

measurements to this:

Main outer: 14 1/4" by 12 1/2" x2
Accent outer: 4 1/2" by 12 1/2" x2
Lining: 18" by 12 1/2" x2

I'm recording them here so I have them for future 


I'm making plans for this;

there is definitely a dress and quilt earmarked for 


Happy sewing!


Monday, July 16, 2018

Frieda's Platter Quilt

I am very pleased to share my latest quilt finish 

with you! 

It has been finished for a few days but I was waiting 

to get some decent photos.....

 which was tricky as it is a very large quilt

 (90" by 75") 

The pretty pieced back

AND it's Winter, so sunny, still days are few and far 


I kept the quilting simple, to let the Dresdens shine!

I always like to give my quilts a unique name, 

especially when I use a traditional quilt pattern.

The hand quilting can be seen more clearly here....

So...Frieda was my mother's name and she was of

German ancestry, hence the link to Dresden, a city  

in Germany.

And 'Platter' because these are really big plates!😆

I had one block left so it was easy to use it as a 


Quilt #95, "Frieda's Platter", measures 90" by 75", given to Helen

And here are a couple of photos of it in its  

happy new home.....

It fits the single bed nicely!

And the double bed too!

Happy sewing!


Sunday, July 15, 2018

A Feathered Cushion!

One of the requirements for my recent workshop with Anna Maria Horner was a quilt block, layered up reading for handquilting.

So I was delighted to re-discover my sample Feather block, made from AMH's pattern, from my first bee with Mid Century Modern Bee back in 2013.

I've spent the last few weeks hand quilting it and 

now it is a cushion!

I found the perfect backing in my stash- a C&S linen 

printed with arrows!

I chose a envelope closure and no trim, 

keeping things simple....

letting the hand quilting shine!

I love the texture created!


Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Sewing Diversion

Sometimes it's nice to sew something different...

So I had a break from my quilt making 

Hand quilting

in all it's forms, to do some garment sewing.

First up, a pair of PJ pants for Eli....

 I then tackled this Summer dress I'd had cut out 


from this New Look #6022 pattern

A great dress that came together really easily!

Finally a lined winter skirt from a very old 

Simplicity pattern

Simplicity #5914

Yes, it needs hemming; the hardest job of all!

Before I start machine quilting one of the three 

flimsies I have waiting,

The inside, where I neatened up along the zipper
 I made this zipper pouch,

from a mini charm pack

 following a tutorial, I found HERE.

It finished at about 11" by 4".

It's going in the gift cupboard in preparation for 


Happy sewing!


Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Hidden Agenda!

I was thrilled when I was chosen to pattern test for 

Angela Pingel.

I have been a fan for many years!

And her new pattern seemed right up my alley....

Varied blocks, lots of colour and fussy cutting!

I immediately started scrambling through my stash

 for the perfect fabric!

I had hoped all my Heather Ross fabrics might have 


but because the pattern called for 12" fussy cuts

 'on point', I just didn't have enough fabric! 

So I settled on my Cotton and Steel stash,

something which I'd added to during a "Quilty 

Wishes" swap last year!

I spent two days cutting out all the pieces,

and waited a few days for some extra fabric to arrive.

Then the piecing of the Square in a Square and 

Pinwheel blocks!

I laid out all the blocks on Sunday and started 

sewing and 'voila'!

It was finished!

I love how it turned out! 

There is so much to look at,

especially those cute teddy bears!

And the colours are so rich and bold!

It's a great pattern, well written with clear diagrams.

If you have some precious fabrics you are waiting to 

fussy cut, this may be the pattern for you!

Just maybe I could have moved those horse blocks apart!

Happy sewing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...