Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A Pandemonium of Parrots

Or would you rather a 'prattle'?

Whatever you call them Australia is home to many 

species of cockatoos and parrots!



Many live around my new regional home!




So when I stumbled across a budgie pattern,

found HERE, I knew I 

could adapt it to suit my purposes.



I purchased some new Japanese solids which feel 

beautiful and felt they would be 

a wonderful addition to my stash.





I did a practice one first.....

Can you see where I made an error change?



It is the extra piece of blue fabric on the lowe

left-hand side of the bird's body.

Once I had done that, I decided it made for a better 

shaped bird.



Again I made an improvement by giving the next bird a 

two-toned taill


Then with the more complicated design I also split the 

tail colour into two.



They look more like birds with their felt eyes.


On a recent morning walk, I saw a flock of these pink 

and grey galahs.


So had to make one of those too!

Looking at the above photo I think I could have placed the colours better....



There are a couple of extras pieces in this one to get a 

good range of colour.

I have four that I definitely want to use.....



I think I will let them sit on their perch for a bit and 

then decide where to go next.

Happy sewing!

SUZ

PS I saw this painting at the Bendigo Art Gallery today.




It is by an Australian female artist, Ellis Rowan.

Enjoy!

 

8 comments:

LintLady said...

Hello Suz,
this patterns are wonderful. Where did you get them from?
The colours you chose are nice.
I never saw a pink parrot before.
Happy stitching Doris :o)

Florida Farm Girl said...

Cute budgies. I LOVE that painting!

Susan Smith said...

Loving them & we do have so many varieties of coloured birds, so you have many to choose from. Wondering what they will become after they perch for a while. Cool mornings now, aren't they? Take care & hugs.

Karen S said...

Wow! Your birds are stunning. Looks like you have been doing a lot of successful experimenting.
Those fabrics are perfect as the colours are so vibrant. How many birds are native to Australia? You have quite a workload ahead of you!!

dutchcomfort said...

Your budgies are beautiful! What do you mea by Japanese solds? They look amazing!

Kim said...

Oh wow your colourful birds are amazing. Why, I recognise some of the parrots that visit my garden. Such happy and vibrantly coloured fabrics. The galah is a sweet fellow. What a joyous quilt this is going to be.

FlourishingPalms said...

These are SO beautiful - the birds and your blocks! I'm jealous that you get to see such colorful birds in your part of the world. Lorakeets, galahs, cockatoos...they're just gorgeous creatures! You sure found the perfect FPP pattern for immortalizing them, and I like the way you adjusted that one tail piece. Perfect. Your fabric birds are beautiful and will make a lovely - Wallhanging? Quilt? I can even imagine a bird on the pocket of one of your pretty dresses. So appropriate for your area. I'll look forward to seeing your project develop further. Have fun with it!

OPQuilt said...

It took me a minute, but I finally saw how you changed up the bird with that lower piece of fabric. I agree, it does shape the bird's body better, and I'm glad you left it...and added it to the other birds. Is this written on the pattern, or did you just draw a line there? I love what Linda wrote (above) and she has fun ideas for any leftover birds you have, but I love how you did them in the end: all lined up. Lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...