Thursday, January 1, 2015

Under Southern Skies!

I managed to put the last stitch in the binding

of my last quilt for the year,

 a few hours before midnight.

Yes, I lead an exciting social life!


 (It is still 2014 

in some parts of the world, after all!)

I started this back in October by making 

12" 'stars within star' blocks...





but something seemed to be missing...

So I decided on some smaller six inch blocks....


After an email discussion with a blogging friend I decided to mix up the star design a bit, and make some 'reverse' blocks with more white stars than blue 


 This certainly gave the quilt more visual interest, 

something that is very important 

in a two-colour quilt, I think.



Then came the quilting-

I practised my pebble quilting in many of the 

squares,



made all the more difficult because the Aurifil thread 

was such a close colour match!


And finished with some hand quilting with a Finca 

perle thread...


adding further visual interest in those white spaces.



The quilt finishes at 48" X 60"


and being gifted very soon!

Thank you to you, my faithful followers, who continue to support me with your encouragement and praise!


Happy New Year!

SUZ

25 comments:

  1. Way to go, Suz! What a perfect end to the year for a quilter! Wishing you many happy sewing days for 2015 x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Suz and theadded touches of hand quilting really tie it all together beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful. What a way to end the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so very, very cute! I love the two color quilt idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful! The stars are dancing! It's just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly stunning. The reversal of background/foreground in some of the stars makes it so much more interesting than it would have been with only blue stars on a white field, and the smaller blocks give the quilt additional movement. Great job on the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suz, This quilt is fabulous!! I love the mix of the different size stars and the reverse of light and dark. The hand quilting adds that extra special touch as well. What a great finish to 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I love the hand-stitching you added!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fabulous quilt. I hope the recipient is worthy ;) Best wishes for the new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous quilt and I hope 2015 is a very special year for you. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! Your quilt is so pretty, I love blue and white and all your quilting works so perfectly on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt! Blue is one of my favorite colors and star quilts are some of my favorite quilts. To have both favorites in one quilt is heaven. I may have to make my own version of this one - after I get a couple of others finished. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful quilt, I love your blue and white stars and the interesting layout really sparkles! Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you played with the blue/white contrast, as well as with the size of the blocks. Lovely finish, Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a magnificent finish for the year. I love the blues in this one. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I do love that quilt. Thanks for sharing the process and congratulations on a splendid finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just amazing Susan!!! Can't believe you are parting with this one. I love all your attention to details such as adding more reverse stars and the wonderful hand quilting. Way to finish off 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! This quilt isn't missing a thing anymore. There's definite visual interest:). Way to go on the pebble quilting and the hand quilting is a nice touch too. Congrats on one last wonderful finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A few hours before midnight, I was fast asleep. I lead a wild social life too! I love two-colour quilts, especially when they are done as well as this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That hand quilting gets me every time. It's a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a way to end the year...or start a new one!! Your quilt sure looks like the night sky, either way....LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely a star in your quilty firmament! I love how you kept adding a layer of ideas at a time, beginning with the original plan, but moving it to a more interesting and complex design. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message! I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...