Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Always Learning!

 I had little idea of how rulers worked with machine 

quilting, so its been a big learning curve!

But I'm having fun in the process!


After only one lesson, and plenty of YouTube time, I'm 

enjoying trying out many designs.

The four week, 20 hour quilting course was very 

reasonably priced.

Having to buy seven rulers to start was not so good!

That's why I am trying to educate myself.

There's no way I am going to be talked into more 

rulers!

(Besides, the teacher took too much time helping 

student learn how to use her fancy new machine,

or selling threads to other students!)

There are so many great videos out there to help you.

This one  (linked) by Angela Walters might inspire you!

All you really need is a ruler foot and a quilting ruler.

The ruler foot needs to be either a low or high shank 

one, depending on your machine.



Quilting rulers are made by many, many companies!

You may notice there are two different looking rulers 

here...

solid straight and curved ones,

The stickers are there so the rulers don't get mixed up in class.

and ones with cut outs.

And there are little rubbery bits of tape attached to help with grip

I haven't quite worked out which ones are better or 

which I prefer yet...

So I guess I'll just keep practising!


Still some wonky sewing happening!

Happy sewing!

SUZ




8 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It looks like you've been having lots of fun practising.

Susan Smith said...

Well done & Victorian Textiles have some good ones & I could always lend you a couple that I don't particularly use at the moment as I've not got a ruler bed on this longarm machine as it is computerised. Look forward to seeing how you progress. Take care & stay safe.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's so good to see you trying a wide range of rulers, and I know exactly what you mean about the cost of them! They are not cheap.

I can suggest something that might help you with using rulers. This idea was shared with me by Elizabeth E. (OccasionalPiece), so I can't claim it but... try using skateboard grip tape on the back of your ruler. It's available inexpensively through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Skateboard-ZUEXT-Waterproof-Rollerboard-Wheelchair/dp/B0852HTKP8/ref=sr_1_11?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Skateboard+Grip+Tape&qid=1620747691&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-11&ts_id=3416161
Just cut a square or two from the tape, peel off the adhesive, and stick it several places on the back of your rulers. You won't believe how "firm" it makes the ruler feel. I highly recommend it. As for everything you're practicing... your samples are looking fabulous. More and more, I seem to prefer the straight line patterns, but there's a place for all of them, isn't there? Keep up the great effort!

Chookyblue...... said...

Goodluck learning new skills..... Must do some videos so I know what people are talking about when using rulers to quilt......

Karen S said...

Having to buy all those rulers before the start of a class is a big expense.
I am pleased you have found ways to add to your skills and knowledge via YouTube.From the samples you have shown you look like you are definitely coming to grips with it.
I hope the classes improve.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Looking good. Sorry to hear about the class. I need to practice using rulers.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Brave girl! But its going to be lovely when you get adept at using the rulers.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...