Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Hindsight is 2020

that is what I am calling this mystery quilt made in 

during the last six weeks of isolation!

Pattern available here

I saw this great video this morning...



and it really spoke to me!

And as you will hear, it is all about the value of 

hindsight!

I started with this fabric selection, which in hindsight,

should have had a greater definition of value.


But I ploughed on regardless...



trying to decide if it was working,

 
by using a black and white photo.


Then to decide if it needed sashing and cornerstones...


I asked for advice on both Instagram and Facebook...


Opinions were divided,

but not being a fan of borders,


and went with the 'without' option.

This top finishes at 66" square,


and is now awaiting motivation to baste and quilt it!

Wish me luck!

Happy sewing...

SUZ


17 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Very pretty quilt!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love this Susan! The addition of the black and white really makes it. Going without borders was definitely the way to go as it allows the blocks to blur together creating a new overall design that flows across the whole surface. I don't often use borders either. Stay safe and sane during lock down.

Sorcha girl said...

Is there a pattern?

Lesley Gilbert said...

I didn't think much about the first block but by the end I LOVED it - wow - what a difference it made with all those blocks together - super duper haha and the video was good as well :)

Needled Mom said...

I love it! I agree with you about the borders.

Julie Fukuda said...

That is quite an adventure. Great choices all around.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It looks great. I like the pattern. Not every quilt needs a border. I rarely use them.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE your quilt!!! I really don't see any problem with the value. I think it's AWESOME!

Florida Farm Girl said...

How could that video not speak to every thinking, feeling human! Loved it. I like that quilt and I think the patterns and colors worked wonderfully. I usually use borders but occasionally one will come along that stands on its own. Got one of those waiting for binding right now.

Karen S said...

Great result and a perfect name. This is a lovely finish to your quilt top. I like the use of the black and white throughout the top. Good luck with your quilting plans.
And thank you for the video link. I really do hope we learn a lot of lessons!

Suz J said...

The thing about value and contrast is that there is not really a wrong answer... just a different result.

Debbie said...

I think your fabric choices are perfect for this quilt. Beautiful!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love all your choices!

OPQuilt said...

I still love this quilt, even with all of the second-guessing of the colors/values problem. I like the subtlety of it, as I trend the other direction: strong value choices all the time. I admire those who can make quilts that involve a more relaxed value shift, and make them work. Like this lovely one here. I wonder if it's for you? since it's so large? Looking forward to seeing this one again!

KaHolly said...

Omg! I absolutely love this!

Unknown said...

I love it! You can send it my way if you don't.

Bergere said...

This is gorgeous. I cannot find any source for the pattern. Is it available?? Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...