Sunday, September 15, 2019

Another Sandwich?

"Scrappy Sandwich" quilt that is!

It has been over five years since I made my first 


The original "Scrappy Sandwich" quilt

and it remains one of my most 'pinned' quilts on 

Pinterest!

If you 'google' it, my quilt is the one you see!

3.5" scraps

And only yesterday it came up on my Facebook feed, 

where it was shared, yet again,




From the original quilt

I still have a little mat I made from the cutoff 

corners...


And I have a tutorial on how to make the basic block on 

my Tutorials page,

which I will be updating as I make this one.


I've been cutting 3/5" wide scraps for a while now,

and started piecing yesterday.

As I strip-piece I check their length on the ruler on 

the front of my sewing table.


And when they are more than the required 10.5" 

I put them aside for pressing and trimming.


Sometimes the pieces are just too wide so I trim 

them as I go.


I've decided I need 80 scrappy strips to make a quilt 

in a similar size as last time.

I will then decide what colour the background solid 


should be.



What do you think...

should I go subtle like the original sand colour,

or maybe dark like navy,

or bold like aqua?

Suggestions gratefully accepted!

Happy sewing!

SUZ

11 comments:

WhiteEagle said...

Navy for sure. I've been making string quilts at the same time I'm making a regular quilt. The strips are my leaders and enders. I think I'll try your method for a while, thanks.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'd have to audition some fabrics for the background. No matter, these are wonderful colors and patterns.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, I received my Dream Weavers pattern just yesterday! I'm thrilled.

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely quilt. I'd go for aqua this time! Happy Stitching!

Susan Smith said...

Now that's got me thinking about what to do with all those scraps I have from 40 years worth of quilting. I'd be doing some auditioning on what to put with it & thinking will it be for male/female? Well done, take care & have a good week.

dutchcomfort said...

Lovely idea to use up scraps! I love the sand colour, but this time I would go for navy!

Karen S said...

It is lovely to see that your quilt is so popular. Congratulations.
Great way to use scraps, too.

Elizabeth said...

Great way to use up your scraps. I would try red or navy for the centres. It's quite lovely with the sand colour.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Great use of scraps. It makes for a very colorful fun quilt. Have fun.

FlourishingPalms said...

Scrappy is SO good! Love what you're doing with these 3" X 5" pieces. Sometimes I am looking for just the right sort of "mindless" piecing, and this is right up my alley. Keep enjoying the process!

Suz J said...

Navy would be stunning. Would you still use white strips for the feature?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...