Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Christmas Tree Skirt

As we are moving into Summer, there is not much 

use for Christmas quilts, 


although I do have a couple that I bring out for six 

weeks or so.

And I've made my share of Christmas stockings


over the years....


But I felt my Christmas tree could use a skirt.


I decided it would be quicker to make my own 

pattern.


First I measured from the base of my tree out to 

give me a diameter of 18 inches.

(You may want to make yours larger, of course.)

Then I cut a piece of brown paper 18" square and 

rounded off the outer edge.

(I also cut a semi-circle out of the centre, but you 


could probably do this at the end.)




I folded the paper on the diagonal a few times 

to accommodate the fabric I had on hand.


I used one of these wedges for my pattern.


I made one from freezer paper and ironed it onto the 

back of my fabric, adding a 1/4" seam when cutting.


Then I simply sewed the 32 wedges together, 

leaving the last seam open.


Ignore that lump, everything flattened once it was cut away!


One metre of Christmas fabric was enough for the 

backing,


and about 4m of binding!

Some simple quilting...



and VOILA...



Happy sewing!

SUZ

13 comments:

Lynda said...

I saw "Christmas Belles" in the background of a photo. I love that quilt. Your tree skirt turned out so well.

Julie said...

Your tree skirt looks great. Such a nice idea. I still haven't put the tree up, I do have my 12 days of Christmas decorations hanging on their twiggy branches now though.

Julie Fukuda said...

Several years ago, my eldest daughter asked me to make her a tree skirt. I really like the idea you came up with.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration. I've needed a tree skirt for ages. Maybe this will be the year if I can work it in around everything else. We just put up the tree today and all the other decorations are done. Merry Christmas Susan.

LintLady said...

Hello Suz,
we are in Winter here now so we are waiting for snow.
I made a tree skirt last year like yours.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. Doris :o)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Just LOVE that skirt!!
Merry Christmas

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! What a festive tree skirt. I love that you made the pattern yourself.

Carla said...

What a great skirt and tutorial! I wrap a very worn antique red/white quilt around the base of my tree after the tree skirt I made was confiscated by my daughter. It made me so happy that she loved it enough to want it!

OPQuilt said...

Terrific! I love your Christmas tree skirt--it looks just like your style, and has your flair for putting together something fun and in a mix of fabrics. I loved seeing all your Christmasy things, too.

Thanks for the heads up about Quilt Inspirations blog yesterday. No, they didn't ask permission, and didn't alert me, so I was glad you had let me know. I love that there is a cadre of us that have finished that quilt and display it every year--fun to see yours at the top of this post!

Needled Mom said...

It looks wonderful under the tree. I LOVE that first quilt. It is on my someday list!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It looks great. I like how you just created a pattern to get what you wanted. Wanna trade? You can have our winter, and I'll take your summer. ☺

Sue said...

Lovely Susan. I did a similar thing for a table runner, but I used a wedge ruler. I love what you have done!

Karen S said...

Very creative. A lovely idea and a delightful result.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...