Monday, December 28, 2020

As promised..

 A finish...

I began this back in October.

The fabric had been in my stash for way too long!



I initially thought to just make it a simple patchwork

These squares are cut at 3 and a half inches

but then came across this method for 

making pinwheel 

blocks..

by making a four patch first...

sewing around the outside edge of two 

blocks facing 

right side together and cutting them in 

four on the diagonal....

Then playing around with their 

placement.

Each block finishes at 5 and a half inches

I hand quilted it, with black Perle thread, 

while I was away in Bright...

So that was the name I've given it.


The batting is Vilene Cottonlite,  

a soft woven fabric similar to a loosely woven flannel 

fabric, perfect for summer quilts.

 And given how well it fits in with this filing cabinet...


It's certainly bright!

Lifetime quilt #128

Quilt #9 for 2020

Finished size 50" by 45"


Happy sewing!

SUZ



10 comments:

Susan Smith said...

Lovely Susan & I love how you've named it after the town where you were quilting it. Once upon a time Bright had a great quilt shop & I joined in one of their fabric clubs for a while. Take care and stay safe.

LintLady said...

Hello Suz,
I always think, that simple patterns just get it's wonderful effects with the right fabric.
This quilt ist this way. You took the perfect material for it. I love it.
I wish you a happy and creative new year.
Stay well
Hugs Doris :o)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Lovely, fresh finish for a year to forget. The black handquilting adds a wonderful extra touch. The block technique is interesting. Did the bias edges give you any trouble? Wishing you a wonderful 2021!

Lesley Gilbert said...

I wasn't sure about the fabric with white lines when I first saw it, then seeing how great they look as HST's was a bonus, then seeing how you sewed them together is winner:)

Patricia said...

This is so oretty, beautiful fabric. What size are your blocks?

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great finish. Love the big stitch quilting.

Karen S said...

I have been out of the blogging loop for a little while, so it is lovely to see this quilt on my return.
What an interesting way to make the pinwheel blocks. They look like they turned really well. Was there much trimming to size?
The colours are vibrant and the stripe is a great feature. Lovely way to use the fabric. Your hand stitching finishes it off beautifully.

Suz J said...

I have not heard of this type of batting... although it sounds ideal for this light summery quilt. Where did you buy it from?

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh wow! It's a gorgeous quilt, but I had no clue that those little stripes were in the print! I thought you'd inserted narrow white fabrics into all those colors. :-) You chose a great block for making those stripes so effective. And I admire that you hand-quilted it. I've never quilted with black thread, nor would have chosen it in the first place, but you definitely made it work! Great job!

KaHolly said...

Absolutely delightful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...