Sunday, November 15, 2020

Happy finishes!

 I have two finishes to share with you today!

Firstly, the Whittaker pinafore I made for my sister, 

Helen was gifted to her yesterday!

We had a lovely time together getting some photos!


The denim was heavier than I was expecting when I 

ordered it online and I was worried about how I would 

manage it!



However, my Juki powered through every multi-layer.

(I may need to make a pair of jeans now!)

The green topstitching is just perfect, isn't it?


Secondly is my "Halo" quilt, which I am calling

 "Double Donuts".

My Melbourne friends will know this refers to an 

impressive COVID figure.....


Today is the 16th day we Victorians have achieved zero 

new cases, zero deaths! 





And today, we have NO cases of COVID at all in our 

wonderful State!

 All that lockdown pain deserves a celebration quilt, 

don't you think?!



I hand quilted this over the course of about 6 weeks, 

powering through not one but more than two spools of 

thread- a Superior Threads reel of 12wt in Cerulean,

A WonderFil Eleganza reel of 8wt in a variegated aqua, 

and 

some of the other Superior Threads in Pansy.


We were lucky to find not one, but two bridges 

to throw it over. 

Neither of us was tall enough to hold it up without it 

trailing on the ground!

And a tree branch came in handy too!



The backing was bought before our first lockdown back 

in March, 

When Darn Cheap had all patchwork fabric for $5 a 

metre!

It really suits Helen's lounge room,

but, no, it came home with me!


Quilt #8 for 2020

Lifetime quilt #126

Finished size: 84" by 74"

My version of the "Halo" quilt

Happy sewing!

SUZ

15 comments:

Karen S said...

Lovely work all round. The pinafore looks great and fits so well. Great idea with the lining. Watch out, you will have lots of orders.
And your quilt finish is wonderful. Perfect name. I wonder if today should be triple donuts because there are no longer any mystery cases either.
Love seeing the quilt hanging from the bridge. And the backing is perfect.
How good to see you catching up with family and enjoying the sunshine.

Susan Smith said...

Well done on both. Denim can certainly be hard to sew, though I've not done denmfor some time. I love the quilt & your hero shots. I've been making sure that my recent labels for quilts I've made this year have pandemic information on them for future reference. Take care, stay safe and hugs from West Gippsland.

karenbbsnow said...

Great job on the pinafore, what a lucky sister! Your Double Donuts is stunning. Fun design, beautiful backing, perfect binding choice and best of all ... the handquilting.

Barb said...

What a gorgeous quilt, I love your color choices. I was speechless when I read how you have kept the virus down. We have an ignorant fool occupying the presidency until the end of January so we are under siege with the virus. Many more will sicken and die before his is gone. Positivity rate in my state is 15% with hospital beds almost gone and still there are people who think masks should be optional. I am envious of your situation and congratulate you in your choice to follow science.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Two fabulous finishes indeed! Love them both very much. I have ordered a drunkards path template to make a curvy quilt someday though I know that is not quite the same as your circle blocks. There is something about blues and whites together that is very pleasing to the eye. Meanwhile, kudos on your managing of this virus. Sadly our numbers are rising a little here in Ontario, Canada.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a gorgeous quilt and congratulations on the double zero! Both are definitely worth a celebration!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I just love your Double Donuts quilt. And a big congrats on your Covid numbers (or lack of numbers) Wish we could get there instead of climbing straight up like we are. The green stitching and buttons really make that cute jumper for your sister. Here's to 2 great finishes. Cheers.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A beautiful quilt! So glad you are keeping this one.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

You did a great job with the dress. The green thread was a great idea. Well done on the quilt.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I love your Halo quilt! And all those blue fabrics, oh, my. I don't have anywhere near that many. Congratulations on the double zeros. Sure wish we were any where close to that number but, alas, ours keep heading for the stratosphere. Happy quilting!

Julie said...

I love that green top stitching on your sister's pinafore. Very envious that you are able to see each other. Your halo quilt is just fabulous, perfect colours and quilting. So glad all the angst from a long hard lockdown is worth your current results.

Suz J said...

Love the Double Donuts quilt but that backing fabric is STUNNING! Hopefully you ended up with some left over to add to a scrappy quilt.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's so good to see how you're continuing to make. It sure makes the time speed past, doesn't it? Seeing your sister in the jumper you made must make you feel great. It suits her, and I noticed that you're making another one for her. Fantastic! As for the quilt, that's awesome! Love all the prints, and the fact that you hand quilted it makes it even more spectacular. I'd love to see you in action, quilting away, because I know I'd be impressed with your speed and accuracy. I am a sluggard when it comes to hand quilting. The best thing of all is your state's zero COVID-19 numbers. Wow! How is that possible? Our Florida number of new cases just keeps climbing, and a few days ago topped 9,000 in a day. The more the US gets into winter, the more people come to Florida, the more cases are reported. This pandemic just doesn't end. In spite of that, last week I got away with three friends (we formed a safe pod) for a week of sewing. It was bliss! Continue to stay safe, and be well. You have some exciting days ahead with your retirement looming. I couldn't be happier for you!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I do love the color scheme of your Halo quilt. The pattern, I've found, is addictive. I've just started my second, hand-piecing all of the blocks and then machining them together. Bravo!

KaHolly said...

Your sister is a very lucky gal! And your halo quilt makes my heart sing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...